Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jessica Kumari, Channel 1 News

She's an anchor for Channel One news, played in schools across the country every monrning.


How'd you become a reporter?:
My first “on air” job was at News 12 The Bronx – a local 24 hour cable station in NYC. I had a 3 week “trial” period where they tested me out and made me shoot, edit and report…I had never studied journalism …didn’t know how to use a camera…and cried every single day when I got home because it was so hard...but I was so determined to “pass” the trial period I did…and it’s been much better ever since!
Advice for others wanting to do the same:
Never give up! If you really want something go after it – don’t let ANYONE discourage you (one producer told me I’d never make it because I wasn’t pretty enough)
Nickname:
Jessie (but only my Mom can call me that!)
Biggest phobia:
Believe it or not – flying in planes…I travel so much but still get nervous any time there’s turbulence
Beauty product I can’t live without:
mascara…a girl’s gotta have long eyelashes!
Favorite story/assignment:
hmmm this is a hard one…I’ve done a lot of fun stories…despite all the places I’ve been, my first international story is my favorite. I covered the melting glaciers in Bolivia. I got to climb a glacier…it was so cool!
What best describes me: a) girly, b) tomboy, c) total glam, d) a little of everything
Definitely a little of everything…depending on the day…sometimes even the time of day!
In 10 years I want to be:
working as a Network reporter
My idol is:
My Mom…she is the coolest person in the world…and she’s given me so much support and love
What I get the most compliments on:
my work ethic – I work really hard!
Most embarrassing moment:
When I was working for the show Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, I was filling in for the Executive Producer’s assistant. I was taking his calls when Dick Ebersol called…he’s in charge of NBC Olympics and started Saturday Night Live…I didn’t realize he was a big deal and told him my boss was too busy to talk…biiiiiig mistake!
Best beauty tip I’ve ever gotten:
blend blend blend! (eye makeup..foundation..blush…whatever!)
My friends make fun of me for:
a lot! Hmmm chewing gum nonstop, going to bed early, putting ketchup on everything!
One thing I wish I knew 5 years ago:
Enjoy everything and everyone…laugh more…there will always be time to work hard and sometimes you just need to relax and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...